Police Action and Custody
Prince Andrew was taken into custody on Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office related to his previous role as the UK trade envoy. Law enforcement also conducted searches at properties in Berkshire and Norfolk. Officials said a man in his sixties remains in custody, though they did not initially name him. Andrew turned 66 on the day of the arrest.
Unmarked police vehicles were spotted outside Sandringham in Norfolk, where he has been living since leaving his Windsor home. Police emphasized the importance of maintaining the integrity of the investigation while acknowledging the high public interest in the case.
Alleged Links to Jeffrey Epstein and Financial Deals
Recent reports suggest Andrew may have shared sensitive documents with the late financier and convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein during his tenure as trade envoy. Emails reported by the Financial Times indicate he agreed to assist in an $8 billion cash-for-oil swap between foreign entities. The correspondence reportedly began while Epstein was under house arrest following a 2008 sex offense conviction.
Royal expert Craig Prescott of Royal Holloway, University of London described the situation as one of the most dramatic falls from grace for a royal in modern times. Police commentator Danny Shaw said suspects are typically held for 12 to 24 hours before being charged or released, with a maximum detention of 96 hours requiring judicial approval. Andrew is reportedly being held in standard custody conditions without special privileges.
Royal Family Concerns and Past Controversies
Thames Valley Police had previously confirmed it was investigating allegations against Andrew, prompting King Charles III to express concern and state that Buckingham Palace would support the investigation.
In October, Charles stripped Andrew of his royal titles and ordered him to vacate Royal Lodge on the Windsor estate, following years of scrutiny over his ties to Epstein. Andrew stepped back from public duties in 2019 after a widely criticized BBC interview about his friendship with Epstein.
Andrew has not been charged in connection with Epstein and has consistently denied wrongdoing. In 2022, he settled a civil case with Virginia Giuffre, who accused him of sexual abuse at age 17. The settlement did not involve an admission of guilt, though Andrew acknowledged her suffering as a victim of trafficking. Giuffre later died by suicide at 41, and her memoir Nobody’s Girl was published posthumously in October.
